NCMS (National Classification Management Society) is a society that provides training and guidance to private sector firms who are industrial contractors to the federal government on classified contracts. As a member of the national organization and the Carolinas Chapter, RMA has access to some excellent and timely training. “Don’t Click That Link!” came from another member and is a good reminder for all of us as individuals and as companies that we each have a part to play in our own security and the protection of our company’s assets. The FBI estimates that every year billions of U.S. dollars are lost to foreign and domestic competitors who deliberately target economic intelligence in flourishing U.S. industries and technologies, and who cull intelligence out of shelved technologies by exploiting open source information. This is a good reminder that there are plenty of scam e-mails out there. The human element is always the weakest link in the protection of assets both personal and professional.
Keep yourself safe from online scams.
- The dancing reindeer in the E-Holiday Card is not worth the viruses and spyware that will be installed.
- Your bank account has not been closed…but if you’re worried, go to your bank’s website and log in properly.
- You did not win the lottery…not in this country, not in any other country.
- You did not violate Facebook’s policies and your account will not be suspended.
- No one is going to share their inherited millions with you.
- No one is going to pay you, or give you free stuff, to be a “Secret Shopper”.
- You are not going to make millions working from your home computer three hours a day.
- Your grandchild (child, nephew, neighbor, friend’s dog, whatever) is probably NOT in desperate trouble (overseas, out of state, on the moon, whatever). If in doubt, call someone – another relative, the police, a local hospital – to VERIFY before offering any kind of payment to “help”.
- You did not win a free gift card. Really, you didn’t.
- The Better Business Bureau did not receive a complaint about you.
- The airline will NOT send an e-mail with a link so you can print your boarding pass.
- You CAN watch the video for 15 seconds, but don’t!
Sometimes, harmful e-mail is obvious.
Sometimes it’s not.
Unless it’s from a known and trusted source, do NOT click on any link, open any attachment, call any phone number, or follow any instructions from an e-mail or even from a posting on a social networking site. You never know what may be lurking!
Plan. Protect. Prosper.
Protus3 specializes in security system design, security consulting, corporate investigations and other investigative services. Partner with Protus3 and we will examine each situation to identify threats and develop solutions for your best outcome.